Estates valued at $100,000 or greater are generally probated. Probate is a court process by which a person’s estate is settled after his or her death. At death, a person’s estate includes his or her personal property and real estate, with the exception of any property that passes automatically upon his or her death.
Settling a probate estate involves collecting the decedent’s property, paying their debts, and distributing what remains after the debts are paid. The court process begins with opening a decedent’s estate in probate court. The process also involves:
- Publishing and/or providing the required notices,
- Nominating a personal representative,
- Preparing an inventory of the estate’s assets,
- Appraising and selling assets,
- Bookkeeping and filing the necessary accountings,
- Filing the necessary tax returns and paying required taxes,
- Paying debts and distributing remaining assets.
During this emotional time, it is very important to have an attorney to help you navigate the Probate process. Golden Law, are experienced attorneys that provide excellent probate services. We meet with loved ones to walk them through managing the estate as well as the probate process. We walk with you every step of the way and ensure that you are informed, empowered, and reassured your important matters are handled. Contact us today to schedule a probate consultation.